The room we had was in a poor condition. It is in serious need of a refurbishment. The bathroom was not very nice - taps came off in our hands - the bath was stained and the edges were covered in mould. The floor of the bathroom looked dirty - not very inviting. It was like going back in time to the bad old days when staying in a pub was quite chancy and people just put up with poor standards.
The bedroom had a dangerous ill-fitting socket that was loose on the wall and badly located so that the wires were heating up as they were touching the side of the kettle.(I reported this as dangerous when we left). The fitment of one of the lamps on the headboard of the bed looked awful - really amateurish - it seemed to emphasise the lack of care. One of the bedside lights wasn't working. I had a bizarre conversation with the duty manager about the slits I found in the duvet cover - evidently it is common practice (?!) that stitching at the side of the duvet covers, near the top, is undone so cleaners can slip their hands inside and grab the duvet to pull it up to align it with the top of the cover. I've stayed in hundreds of hotels and never seen this before - it's not very hygienic and it wasn't neatly done - I thought the the duvet was ripped!
On the plus side, the bed itself was comfortable and the staff in the restaurant were friendly and helpful.
I was very surprised that Greene King, a large organisation, should offer the public a facility that is not fit for purpose.